Wednesday 21 January 2015

Taste of Shanghai, Ashfield

Only 20 mins from Sydney CBD is our city's own Shanghai. Well, maybe that's not quite true, but this suburb has had a long standing reputation for the destination for a 'Shang' meal. We're pretty tired from shopping, so Uncle G and I decide to grab a quick meal at Taste of Shanghai.
Xiao Long Bao - $9.80 (9 pieces)
Wonton in Red Chilli Oil Sauce - $9.80 (10 pieces)
Szechuan Style Braised Barramundi with Fermented Rice Balls and Chilli or with minced Pork. $24
Spicy Dan Dan Noodle Soup- $9.80
So maybe we were over-ambitious for just 2 people, but it felt like ages since Uncle G and I had eaten out, so we splurged. No harm done as we just got take away for the left over wontons.

The XLB were ok. Probably what I would expect from most 'run of the mill' dumpling joints in China. So for Sydney, its probably commendable. Certainly nothing to complain about yet not quite as good as New Shanghai's (at least in my opinion).

The wontons were again average. They remind me a lot of the '大云吞‘ I get in Shanghai (again, at your run of the mill local shop). Stuffed full of pork and shepherd's purse - these guys are filling but the veges didn't suit Uncle G's appetite. In fact they somewhat disappointed as well. I had such high expectations following the Taiwanese editions I ate recently. Unfortunately these did not nearly match those standards.

The spicy Dan Dan noodle was not quite as I anticipated. I imagined a sheet of red chilli oil, aromatic from numbing chilli & dark soy coloured pork mince. As you can tell from the picture - not quite what I had envisioned. But it sure was spicy!!!! Not for the faint hearted - although Uncle G liked it and mopped it all up.

And finally the fish! I was expecting glutinous rice balls in with the sauce, but didn't see any. It was, heavy, loaded with fermented rice grains. The fish itself appears a little overcooked but the flavours were enjoyable.

What's your favourite chinese eatery in Sydney?

Taste of Shanghai Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment: